Sunday, March 22, 2009

My personal Wiki

I am loving my personal wiki. Having installed the ScrewTurn Wiki about half a year ago, I have started to make it a habit to log all the interesting technical issue I have came across and how I resolved them. I have not share this wiki with the public as these information can be found online usually and I will be sharing thru my blog here on things that are unusual. Before this, I often keep this information in my outlook task or in some text file that things really got so messy that it became a maintenance nightmare and searching more information is tedious.

One of the main reason in deciding to have my personal wiki is due to the forgetness in me. Maybe, there are just too many thing on my mind. Another reason was that I want to have full control over it. Why? In the company I am working in, we have changed the wiki application previously and currently running two different wiki (Confluence and Sharepoint). Things keep changing and causing so much confusion that probably no one is keen to share what they have. Worst, there is lot of restriction and security impose. What you can write and what you can read.... So you might be writing something that maybe no one have access to.

Wiki is meant to be a place where information can be shared but with so much been imposed, the whole idea of sharing is loss. Sadly this might be one of the reason that slow down on how far we can move ahead. I am really looking forward to the day where everyone in the company can be sharing and move ahead together.

No comments: